Pea & Ham Risotto
Servings 4 people
- 1 onion diced
- 150 g cooked ham cut into small squares
- 200 g risotto rice
- 125 g frozen peas
- 1 l vegetable stock made up using two low / zero salt stock cubes
- Splash of whole milk
- Fry the onion over a medium heat for a few minutes until soft.1 onion
- Add the rice, mix together and fry for a few minutes more.200 g risotto rice
- Make up a jug or pan of stock.1 l vegetable stock
- Adding a ladle at a time add the vegetable stock until all the stock has been absorbed, making sure you continue to stir to prevent sticking. This should take around 20 minutes.
- Once the stock has been absorbed add the ham, milk and peas and give it a good mix. Cook for a further 3-5 minutes or until the peas are cooked.150 g cooked ham, Splash of whole milk, 125 g frozen peas
Ham can be a little salty for babies < 1 year of age, so use sparingly or sub for chicken if preferred. Cool any leftover risotto within one hour and store in an airtight container in the fridge to use within the next 24 hours. Alternatively, any leftover risotto can also be divided into baby or family friendly portions and frozen. TIP: To help cool your leftovers quickly, either divide into smaller portions onto a wider surface area (such as a plate) or place your bowl of leftovers into cold iced water. Risotto will best be reheated in the pan, adding a splash of stock, water or milk. Stir often and reheat until piping hot all the way through and serve immediately. Alternatively, place into a microwaveable dish and add a splash of milk. Cover and reheat until piping hot all the way through, stirring every 30 seconds. If using frozen risotto, defrost before reheating. Only reheat leftover risotto once.